Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Sirius Black is my Whore-Crux

Blah blah...

What a week, at least knitting wise.

On Saturday, I discovered that, as per usual, my gauge changed when going from swatch to garment... blargh. I think I really just need to start knitting bigger swatches. Yarn Store Boss Lady told me that all the designers are now doing 8x8 instead of the old standard of 4x4. I think I need to do 12x12. Grrrrr. Swatching=oh so useful=oh so sucky.

So, I had to rip out that Chocolate Decadence sweater. Rippity rip rip.

But I was at the yarn store, so I found a new and exciting way to rippity rip rip. And this worked because I was at the end of the ball... I just slid out the needle, put the yarn end on the ball winder, and wound my sweater into ball. Lovely.

And! I've now actually knit up to exactly the point where I ripped on Saturday, this time with 10 more stitches on the needle.

My gauge only changed by 1/2 st/inch. But, oh! The difference it made.

In other news, Saturday was the yarn store sale. I think I did very well, considering. I only walked away with things that were 50% off. Which means I now have a lot of Calmer. Dan's freaking out that we don't have enough space at our new place for all my yarn, so I best get to knitting it up!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have an idea. My niece who has now been knitting for six months uses her projects as a swatch. She casts on on the size needles she thinks will work and works on the project until she gets several inches into it and then measures her guage. If it works she's already well into her project, if not she starts again. I just thought if you were going to start making bigger swatches this might be the method for you. Sorry about all the ripping but congratualations on the job.