I joined Secret Pal and am super-excited, because I'm just like that!
Here're my questions:
1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? Or is it all the same to you?
I am a huge fiber snob. I like natural fibers. I'm not necessarily a brand snob, but I like high quality, natural fibers.
2. Do you spin? Crochet?
I do a bit o' the crochet. You can see that my spinning needs some help. I haven't given up, though.
3. Do you have any allergies? (smoke, pets, fibers, perfume, etc.)
I'm allergic to some medications, so as long as I don't eat an medicated wool, I should be good to go.
4. How long have you been knitting?
7 years last January!
5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Here I know my list is crazy long.
6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
I don't necessarily have a favorite, but I like subtle and not too sweet. So, crisp or spicy. The 2 perfumes I wear are "White" by GAP and Chanel No. 5.
7. Do you have a sweet tooth?
8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?
Random stuff-- I like general crafty-ness that doesn't necessarily have a name, like the bubble magnets I made for mother's day last year... I sew. I have my eye set on embroidery as the next big adventure.
9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I like most kinds of music. My recent obsession is World Music-- especially Putumayo and Six Degrees samplers. My old standbys are modern folk (Dar Williams, The Nields, Eddie from Ohio, Moxy Fruvous, etc). But I like some good rockin' and alt and outlaw country. My favorite mix CDs that people have made me are heavy on the indie, because I like indie, but don't know anything about it. I'm always looking for new music, so if you want to make me a CD, I won't complain and just make a CD that *you'd* like. I can handle MP3s
10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?
My favorites are navy blue and light pink. I really like earthtones. Yellow has a way of making me look ill.
11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I have a husband and 2 gerbils.
12. What are your life dreams? (really stretching it here, I know)
To see more of the world. To find fulfilling work and make lots of money doing it so I can retire early and knit and read more.
13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?
I am a Rowan whore. My favorite yarn of all time is Kid Silk Haze.
14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
Not a big fan of novelty yarns.
15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?
16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Things that don't suck. I don't really have a favorite thing to knit. I like classic, well-designed patterns.
17. What are you knitting right now?
The store sample that will not die. Some socks. 2 shawls. A languishing Colinette vest kit. I have a few forgotten sweaters and random other things...
18. What do you think about ponchos?
I don't like them. I think they're overrated. I think they need to go away. I'm seceretly knitting one.
19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
It so depends on the project, on my mood, on the weather, on what's closest to me.
20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
None of the above. I actually really, really like hardwood needles. Birch, rosewood, ebony, palm...
21. Are you a sock knitter?
I knit socks, but I don't know if I'd call myself a "sock knitter".
22. How did you learn to knit?
I took a class. My college had this thing called ExCo (expiremental college) where anyone could teach a class on anything. Not for credit, an hour a week usually. My first year I took knitting through ExCo. I made a hat. I still have it, but I don't wear it. I wear a really similair one made from the same pattern that matches my current coat.
23. How old is your oldest UFO?
I've been knitting for seven years, so my oldest UFO would have to be 8 years old. Ha ha ha. My oldest UFO that I fully intend on finishing at some point is probably 4 years old.
24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?
Leela from Futurama.
25. What is your favorite holiday?
Christmas, followed closely by Thanksgiving
26. Is there anything that you collect?
Books. Yarn. Hobbies.
27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
The 3 I love:
Rowan, Rebecca, Interweave Knits
The 1 I like:
The one that I used to like, but am liking less and less:
The 2 I don't like:
28. Any books out there you are dying to get your hands on?
Principles of Knitting. HA HA HA.
I haven't yet seen Rowan's RYC collection yet, so the 3 books that have come out in support of that haunt my dreams. Also, I don't actually own anything by Elizabeth Zimmerman (I take that back. I just bought The Opinionated Knitter, but I really really really want Knitting Around).