Monday, January 31, 2005

This was a good knitting weekend.

In addition to getting to knit and chat with my friend Emily, whom I don't get to see nearly enough of these days (silly doctoral students... they get eaten up by lab a lot) I started making all the knitting needles. The 12 pair of size 8s are almost done. One more coat of paint, a buffup with the ol' wax paper and gluing on the heads and I'm good to go. I spent all weekend making these babies. They're going to rock. Then I have all the stuff to make the size 13s.

So, because I was boxed into an unreasonably low materials cost for both classes, I have all this novelty yarn that is really just not my thing, because I had to get it super-cheap off of Ebay. And all these needles that I'm slaving over. Not worth what I was going to charge them, but I'm donating labor, because they're fun to make.

So, I've so forth put in around $200 of my own money in materials (that I would then sell to the students, reimbursing my costs) and over 20 hours of my time in class prep.

Then TODAY I get an email saying that the classes are cancelled due to low registration. Class was supposed to start tomorrow. So I'm out all this time and money for nothing. Plus, I really needed the money I was going to get paid for teaching.

The University of Michigan had done nothing but jerk me around for at least 2 years now. They have messed up almost *every* aspect of my life at one point. I don't know why I thought this time would be any different.

No comments: