Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Ok, first off, who has mastered 2 color shaker rib? Because I sure as hell haven't. I'll redo my swatch yet again and post pictures of what I'm doing soon. Hopefully this week. I'm going off of the info. in Katerina Buss's Big Book of Knitting if that helps any...

In other knitting news... well, it's Christmas, and you never know who reads these things, so specific details (and pictures) might be on hold for the next month...

I will say this though... Plymouth Baby Alpace Grande... oh baby... this person better realize how much I love them. I just want to wrap myself in this yarn and sleep for a million years. In fact, after Christmas, I might make myself something out of this, because wow. yum.

This is also a sewing week, as Messiah is this weekend and I need a dress that goes to my instep. At 5'9" this is not the easiest thing in the world to find. Now, I am knitting diva, not a sewing diva. Not a complete sewing dunce, but I will say that I sought out the "Very Easy Vogue" patterns!!! Luckily all of Jo-Ann's was on sale, so I gots me a nice new pair of scissors for cheap! Schweet. Now, if only I had a serger... mmmm... serger...

Ah, going to the fabric store reminded me of so many things... when I was a kid my mom and I used to go to the fabric store and I'd sit on a chair with my feet dangling, leafing through the books of patterns for a new dress or Halloween costume and then Mom would take me over to the big file drawers and we'd rifle through to find the pattern... also, of when Ellie and I would drive to Newton's Super Wal-Mart when we decided we needed fabric at midnight and then no one was working to cut our fabric so she had to teach the electronics guy how to cut fabric and use the scanny thing to get a price tag... or even my Saturday's at Sew-In when I got to cut fabric, which we sold by the meter and yard and the customer had to decide which one they wanted.

I don't know what it is about crafts that make people so nostolgic. I've noticed it with knitting before. (Knit on a bus sometime. The amount of homeless guys who get choked up and talk about how their mom s used to knit is astounding.) But last night when I got home, Dan pulled out my new (huge!) tomato pin cushion, with the mini-tomato dangling off the end and his eyes lit up as he exclaimed "I've ALWAYS wanted one of these! Especially with the little dangly one!"

No comments: